In the run up to Christmas, ’tis truly the season for spending quality time with our loved ones. However you choose to make merry this holiday season, trying a new Christmas tradition should be right at the top of the list. So we’ve compiled these traditions to adopt as a family to make the festive season that bit more magical, without spending too much money.
- Pack up last year’s toys to give to another family – join in your little ones to write a card to go with the donation
- Watch Christmas adverts from previous years on Youtube
- Decorate gingerbread men with a bake off style competition
- Make a donation to Little Village, who send out Christmas bundles to families in need
- Put out a treat of Whiskey & cookies for Santa & Rudolph – thanks kids!
- Receive personalised texts from Santa with SlickText
- Find matching Christmas PJs for the family – try local secondhand groups to find sets from other families
- Burst through a wrapping paper door on Christmas morning
- Have a sleepover under the Christmas tree, inspired by @thechavarastory
- Go for a night-time drive or walk through a neighbourhood to see their Christmas lights
- Track Santa’s whereabouts on Christmas Eve with Google’s Santa Tracker
- Collect pinecones, leaves & shrub clippings to make your own wreath
- Make salt-dough Christmas decorations (with little hand or footprints to reminisce about in years to come)
- Adorn your window with festive decorations
- Organise volunteering as a family at a local charity
- Host a Christmas movie marathon
- Sing along to carols & Christmas karaoke on Youtube
- Gift your little ones ornaments each year as keepsakes
Adopting Christmas traditions to take part in every year is a magical way for the whole family to get excited for the festive season. To read more about how to keep costs low this year, read our suggestions here.